Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Water Regionally Abundant in Great Lakes Basin, but not Always When and Where it’s Needed

Title: Water Regionally Abundant in Great Lakes Basin, but not Always When and Where it’s Needed
Author: None listed
Publication:U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey
Date: 2/7/2011
Link:http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2694

Summary:
According to the U.S. Department of Interior the basin of the Great Lakes has the potential of running low on water. The reason that the basin might run low on water is because if we keep pumping ground water from this area into Chicago, the water levels in this location would decrease by hundreds of feet. Scientists are saying that there will be plenty of usable water, but it may not be distributed evenly to the Chicago area. Scientists found this out because they were doing a five year study on how water use can effect the climate. By conducting this study many scientists were able to predict the future levels of water flowing through this area. They have predicted that as the years come there will be less water. Studies like this are going to be done in the Chicago river and Delaware river in years to come.

Opinion:
I think that the possible shortage of water in the basin of the Great Lakes is a HUGE problem. I am worried for the people who live in this area because if this happened where I live, I would hate to have to not always have easy access to water. I use water in my every day life so I cannot imagine how these people would struggle with this. I think that if we let water recharge in the recharge zone and go into the aquifers more quickly we would not even have this problem in the first place. I think that studies like the one done by these scientists should be done in areas across the world so we can help solve the problem of water shortages. I picked this article because it is very interesting that we could run low on water in our country! I hope that we can find a way to help the basin accumulate more water.

Graphic:
http://www.freakyweather.com/files/images/California%20Drought.jpg

Even though this would take a long time to happen here this picture shows what water shortages could look like.

Questions:
1)How do you think that we could prevent water shortages such as this one?
2)Would you be worried if you lived in the Chicago area?
3)Do you think that tests like this one should be done more often?
4)How could a water shortage like this possible one affect wildlife?

4 comments:

  1. I think that this was yet another interesting study conducted. Water availability in the Great Lakes is an issue that should not be taken lightly. Like my question above, imagine our country without our largest source of fresh water. People around the Great Lakes region would not have fresh water and could possibly affect the entire economy. Although these shortages do not affect me directly, my aunt and cousins in Erie, Pennsylvania would be seriously affected if the water was gone. Due to pumping, groundwater levels have decreased to as much as 1,000 feet and if pumping continues at this rate, is expected to drop another 100 feet. This is certainly not a good thing for our economy and the people of our country, and we need to do something to prevent pumping and the other contributing factors.

    Expansion:http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/_kd/Items/actions.cfm?action=Show&item_id=2077&destination=ShowItem This is a link about the various studies done on the Great Lakes’ water shortage and the importance of the water in the Great Lakes.

    Questions Answers:
    (Answer to #3): Yes, I think that more studies like this one should be done. If more studies are done, we will be more educated about the shortages and hopefully raise awareness about the situation.

    3 Questions:
    1. Why are shortages in the Great Lakes occurring?
    2. How do these shortages affect the people living in and around the Great Lakes region?
    3. What happens if all the water in the Great Lakes is gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opinion:
    I DEFINITELY agree with Andrew. In class we always talk about how easy it is to get clean water in our area, and mostly all around the US, and we think so lightly of how difficult it is in countries like Africa. I could honestly not even imagine what life without water would be like. I think its great what scientists are doing to test the relation between water and climate, but they need to be very careful about how much they use and how they use it, for things like this could possibly happen in the future.

    Answer to Questions:
    1. Well we could do something as simple as use less water around our household, like taking shorter showers, not letting the sink drip, etc. Scientists could also be more careful...
    2. I would be worried! I actually know someone who DOES live in the Chicago area. It's not like they're going to completely run out of water and have nothing to drink, but it could happen in the future.
    4. This kind of water shortage could really have an affect on wildlife. Those lakes are the home to A LOT of aquatic life, like fish, ducks, etc.

    My Questions:
    1. Why did they specifically pick the Chicago area? What's wrong with somewhere else?
    2. How long will it take for the Chicago area to completely run out of water?
    3. Are there any type of water shortages at all yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Response: I think this is a very bad thing. If Chicago runs out of water, then this is very possible that people will become unhealthy there. Water is vital for human living and should be accessible to all. The basin should be looked at more closely and acted upon if needed. Personally, I use water a lot for practice. I have practice 3 times a week and it involves moving fast. I’m sure if we didn't get water, almost everyday, another kid would pass out. This is my view on the issue with the basin in the Great Lakes.

    Extension: http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/news/local_business/article_4ab81546-942a-56d1-8b29-2160e36f0333.html
    This website is about another un-recharged basin, the Columbia Basin.

    Answers:
    2) Yes because water is necessary to live. I would be even more worried with the summer season approaching soon where water is a more common need.

    Questions:
    1) Who is responsible for draining the basin?
    2) Is this a problem which will spread further?
    3) Has this happened before and is it naturally occurring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a big problem for the U.S. People always say how we are the most powerful country in the world, and that we have everything we need to live a good life. If we accually see our water supply decreases as much as scientists say it is then people are going to have trouble living in the U.S. Like Becca said, we hear about people in Africa who struggle to find water, but we don't think enough about it because it isn't a problem for us. Thinking about how people in Africa struggling to find water,and how that could be people in the U.S. is scary thought. For many years we have had plenty of drinking water and we take it for granted, however we might not in the future. I know that I use a lot of water every day and I can have to admitt that I am someone who has taken water for granted. A couple things I do is take long showers and run the water while brushing my teeth. But recently learning about how limited fresh water supply is, I have have been for careful and have shortend the amount of time I take a shower and to keep the water off when I brush my teeth. Reading about the U.S. water supply decreasing over the years has tought me that even if we have a lot of water right now, it could go away over time.

    Answer to Questions:

    1) We need to allow the basin to refill by doing this we must try to stop as much drawing of water as possible from the basin and get water from another source. An option is using ground water by drilling wells. When the basin is refilled to a safe level for water to still be present then people can get water from the basin again.

    2)I would be very worried about the supply of drinking water if I lived in Chicago. Wondering if one day I won't be able to excess water troubles me.

    3)Yes, I do think tests like this should be done more often so we are aware of the situation and can attempt to fix it as soon as possible.

    4)All the wildlife living in the great lakes could die out or decrease if they are able to leave the area and find a new habitat.

    ReplyDelete